People spend approximately 90,000 hours at work in a lifetime according to Psychology Today. That is a lot of waking hours. If you have an issue with work then you need to take it up with God. Work was His idea in the beginning… and so was shining.
Genesis 2:15 NIV
The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.
Matthew 5:13- 16 NIV
You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its savor, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a basket. Instead, they set it on a lampstand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
The presence of light in darkness is something that anyone can see. It stands out and so should you.
Do you need An Attitude Adjustment?
Okay let’s be real, some people at work can get on your nerves. It’s true. But for anyone who I work with that is reading this…I’m not talking about you. Some of us are working two or even three jobs to make ends meet. When you are tired you can be easily irritated. God knows where you are so do not be too hard on yourself. Have grace for the people around you and grace for yourself.
Not everyone has to work multiple jobs or even long hours but if you do, it does not give you the right to be nasty to others. Sometimes all you need is an attitude adjustment. It can be once a day, once an hour, or every time some co-worker or supervisor opens his or her mouth. Let’s say a prayer right now. “Lord Have Mercy!”
If you are at work and need to be the light but your attitude keeps putting it out then it’s time for a change.
Here is the word of the Lord for you today – Are you listening? … STOP IT! Everyone say it with me, Attitude Adjustment.
Quit gossiping and talking about your boss or that one employee that gets on your last nerve. Stop. Quit laughing at her clothes, stop talking behind his back and smiling in his face. Maybe you might get that promotion if you change your attitude.
James 3:1-6 Restraining your Tongue MSG
Don’t be in any rush to become a teacher, my friends. Teaching is highly responsible work. Teachers are held to the strictest standards. And none of us is perfectly qualified. We get it wrong nearly every time we open our mouths. If you could find someone whose speech was perfectly true, you’d have a perfect person, in perfect control of life.
A bit in the mouth of a horse controls the whole horse. A small rudder on a huge ship in the hands of a skilled captain sets a course in the face of the strongest winds. A word out of your mouth may seem of no account, but it can accomplish nearly anything—or destroy it!
It only takes a spark, remember, to set off a forest fire. A careless or wrongly placed word out of your mouth can do that. By our speech, we can ruin the world, turn harmony to chaos, throw mud on a reputation, send the whole world up in smoke and go up in smoke with it, smoke right from the pit of hell.
What does all of the above mean? Basically, watch what you say because there is power in your words to direct your entire life.
Have an Attitude of Gratitude
Stop and think about it. Someone just lost their job today and they have absolutely no idea what they are going to do to pay their bills in the upcoming months. Someone just got a divorce and now must think about how they are going to take care of everything possibly for the first time in years.
Life is short – quit complaining and start enjoying the life given to you.
It’s Your Choice.
Some of you are bone tired. It is hard to shine when you are physically or emotionally drained. I totally get that. For those of you without a job and you are looking or you are underemployed, I understand that too. It’s okay to be emotional and to complain about this season in your journey but do not stay there. You can shine even through those circumstances. You are not stuck. You may need to begin to look in a different direction or get new tools to help you shift from where you are to where you want to be.
Here are some Hope Keys to help you Shine in the Workplace:
- Work – How about that? Get to work on time and do good work. Take some initiative and go above the call of duty at times. You’ll shine like a diamond.
- Talk – Do you need to have a conversation with someone? If you feel misunderstood or you feel you are treated unfairly, then put on your big person pants and go have a conversation. Take some time and gather your thoughts so you are not emotional and make an appointment to have a conversation. Sometimes change is needed and you may hold the key. That’s better than just moping around about it. I’ll also add, stop being toxic. Watch what you say. Some people are always complaining, gossiping and never providing solutions. Do not even hang around people like that, because “birds of a feather flock together.” Whether you are talking or just listening, you are included. Just watch out for that.
- Investigate – See if there are ways to work out differences at work. Investigate whether you need to look for another place of employment or a new position. Talk to a trusted person who may be able to give you wise counsel and advice. You do not have to remain where you are.
- Gratitude – Approach life from a place of thankfulness. Too many of us can slip into entitlement or selfishness. Find something or someone at your job that you are thankful for. Pray for your supervisors and co-workers.
- Consideration – Everyone has a story and you have no idea what is going on in your co-worker’s lives. So often we want people to understand our pressures at work but we do not take the time to understand the pressures others may be experiencing.
- Adjust – You may need to change.
~ Dr. Angela